2/07/2007

Chicago

I'm moving to Chicago in June, after graduation. I'm hopefully going to grad school there, but if that doesn't pan out, I've decided to go there and find a job. (Scary... a job, a REAL job.) I decided to get out there and see what bloggers had to say about Chicago.

Through a search I stumbled across metroblogging chicago. It's an inside look (sometimes inside-out look) at Chicago. I've only been there once before, six years ago, but I was 15, and with my high school band/choir. We did very tourist-y things like visit the Sears Tower (in a very thick fog... we couldn't see anything) and the Navy Pier. When planning on moving to a city, it's probably best to learn as much as you can about the city. What better way than strait from the inhabitant's mouths.

The link-laden blog has several authors, nine to be exact. They type of weblog changes with each poster, it's not just a collabrative effort. It's something different. It's different with every post. It's not a journal, most likely a blog with filter-like qualities at sometimes. At times, it's even a photoblog. Really, it's a little bit of everything. A place for people to sound off, a place for people to converse, Chicagoans can give each other tips, or just leave a quick joke. This is a blog used for creating a community, quite literally.

There really isn't a major theme except Chicago. Sports in Chicago, art in Chicago, interesting things that caught the eye of people from Chicago. Each author is just as ADD at somepoints as the weblog itself. It's interesting. Definately a shmorgasboard (sp?) of Chicago culture. A great inside resource for someone like me. I'd like to know a little bit of everything.

The Bears going to the SuperBowl is probably one of the biggest thing to happen to Chicago sports fans since the Bulls in the '90s. This blog definately reflects that. The Minneapolis metblog would be buzzing just as much, if not more if the Vikings went to the SuperBowl. (Remember the last time the SuperBowl was in Miami?) This is starting to make me scared... I'll be a Vikings fan living in Bears country. I don't know how well that'll go. I might have to keep my love for the Vikings closeted until I can find a community of like-minded people. I saw people in full-on Packers garb in the store the other day, and I wondered to myself if they knew where they were. People are serious about their NFL. Chicago's no different. (DA BEARS!)

Some people encourage readers to leave comments, other just want to post information. This is part of the metblogs system, with blogs representing 52 (Pittsburgh just joined) cities around the world, most of which are in the United States, but does include locations such as Asia, Europe and South America.

next post in Blogging Blogs Exercise

No comments: